Who makes CARV products?
- All CARV products are made entirely by hand (without machines) by Becky, the owner, designer and artisan maker at CARV. Find out more about the making process here.
Where are the products made?
- All CARV accessories are made in the Hackney Wick studio in East London. You might also spot Becky finishing bags at the stall on Broadway Market on Saturdays. Find out more about visiting the market here.
I like one of your bags but wanted it slightly different (colour / shape / size / initials added) - could you customise it for me?
- As all CARV bags are made by hand every item can be customised. Get in touch via the contact page with your requirements and Becky will let you know what's possible. You can also arrange to pop in to the studio in Hackney Wick or visit us at Broadway Market Schoolyard for a design consultation.
I have an idea for a bag - could you make it for me?
- Becky loves turning ideas into reality. Please get in touch via the contact page to discuss your requirements. Becky also offers a personal design consultation at our studio in Hackney Wick or by visiting Broadway Market.
How long do custom orders take to make?
- The normal turn around time for custom orders is 2-3 weeks but timescales may be less or more depending on the workload at that time. The estimated production time for made to order items is specified on each listing. Do get in touch if you have any questions or specific requests.
Do you manufacture products for other brands?
- CARV is a brand itself rather than a manufacturer and so all Becky's energies go into CARV products and developing the business. Unfortunately Becky cannot do commercial runs for other brands unless it is a collaboration featuring the CARV logo.
Do you do wholesale or stock for other retailers?
- Yes we will consider wholesale and stockist opportunities depending on the terms. Please get in touch to discuss your requirements and the details.
What type of leather do you use?
- All the leather used in CARV bags is vegetable tanned, a traditional process that uses natural vegetable based products (such a tree bark) instead of chemicals to transform the skins into leather. Find out more about vegetable tanned leather here.
Why do you use vegetable tanned leather?
- Vegetable tanned leather looks, feels and smells beautiful, has a natural finish and gets better with age. It is also sturdy and lasting. As production is chemical-free, the process is less harmful to the environment or workers than much of the modern mass produced leathers. Find out more about vegetable tanned leather here.
Where do you get the leather from?
- All the leather used in CARV bags is sourced in the UK, either from UK leather merchants or UK leather producers. We try to source as much of the leather as possible from UK tanneries to support the traditional leather production industry. Discover the CARV suppliers here.
Is it ethical to buy leather products?
- Leather is a by-product of the meat industry and is a sustainable use of what would otherwise be thrown away. We strictly do not use leather from animals that are killed purely for their skin (including exotics) as we feel this would be unethical. Also, by using only vegetable tanned leather (produced without harmful chemicals), we are satisfied that the production methods are as environmentally and socially sustainable as possible.
Will the leather change over time?
- Vegetable tanned leather does change with age, in fact it gets better and better. As the leather ages it often darkens slightly and develops a beautiful patina (a soft sheen on the surface). Find out more about vegetable tanned leather here.
How do I care for the leather?
- To keep your leather ageing as it should we recommend careful storage, preferably wrapped in breathable fabric in a cool, dry location. We also recommend treating it from time to time with a chemical-free leather conditioner - visit our bag care page for more information.
What happens to the leather if it rains?
- Don't worry about getting your leather accessory wet. As the leather is natural it breathes, will dry and return to its former state.
What happens if I buy a bag and change my mind?
- If you purchase an item but then change your mind we will provide a full refund if you return the item within 14 days in the original (unworn) condition. Find out more about the CARV returns policy here.
Not found the answer you were looking for? Submit a question via the form below and Becky will respond to you directly.