Who makes CARV bags?
- All CARV bags are made by hand by Becky, the owner, designer and artisan maker. Find out more here.
Where are the bags made?
- All CARV bags are made in the Hackney Wick studio in East London. You might also spot Becky finishing bags at the stall on Broadway Market on Saturdays - come and have a look!
I like one of your bags but wanted it slightly different (colour / shape / size) - could you customise it for me?
- As all CARV bags are made by hand every bag can be customised. Get in touch via the contact page with your requirements and Becky will let you know what's possible. You can also arrange to pop in to the studio in Hackney Wick or visit us at Broadway Market Schoolyard for a design consultation.
I have an idea for a bag - could you make it for me?
- Becky loves turning ideas into your dream bag. Please get in touch via the contact page to discuss your requirements. Becky also offers a personal design consultation at our studio in Hackney Wick or by visiting Broadway Market.
How long do custom orders take to make?
- The normal turn around time for custom orders is 2-3 weeks but timescales may extend in busy periods. The estimated production time is included on every made to order listing. Do get in touch if you have any questions or specific requests.
What type of leather do you use?
- All the leather used in CARV bags is vegetable tanned, a traditional process that uses natural vegetable based products (such a tree bark) instead of chemicals to transform the skins into leather.
Why do you use vegetable tanned leather?
- Vegetable tanned leather looks, feels and smells beautiful, has a natural finish and gets better with age. It is also sturdy and lasting. As production is chemical-free, the process is less harmful to the environment or workers than much of the modern mass produced leathers.
Where do you get the leather from?
- All the leather used in CARV bags is sourced in the UK, either from UK leather merchants or UK leather producers. We try to source as much of the leather as possible from UK tanneries to support the traditional leather production industry. Find out more here.
Is it ethical to buy leather products?
- Leather is a by-product of the meat industry and is a sustainable use of what would otherwise be thrown away. We strictly do not use leather from animals that are killed purely for their skin as we feel this would be unethical.
Will the leather change over time?
- Vegetable tanned leather does change with age, in fact it gets better and better. As the leather ages it often darkens slightly and develops a beautiful patina (a soft sheen on the surface).
How do I care for the leather?
- To keep your bag ageing as it should we recommend careful storage, preferably wrapped in breathable fabric in a cool, dry location. We also recommend regular conditioning every 3 months with a chemical-free leather conditioner - visit our bag care page for more information.
What happens to the leather if it rains?
- Don't worry about getting your bag wet. As the leather is natural it breathes, will dry and return to its former state.
What happens if I buy a bag and change my mind?
- If you change your mind we will provide a full refund if you return the item within 14 days in the original (unworn) condition. Find out more here.